Manchester General Waste Bin Collections
Waste comes in all sizes, but fortunately, so too do our bins and containers. Whether you are looking to dispose food, paper and cardboard, batteries, construction waste, electronic waste or one of many other streams, we have the bin to suit your needs. Let us come in and take care of any waste management issues that you might have.
Waste of resources: All waste materials represent an investment of water, energy and natural resources, such as coal, oil or trees. Once waste goes to landfill, virgin material has to be taken from our environment to produce new products.
Greenhouse gases: As waste rots in landfill, carbon dioxide and methane are created. The latter is a major greenhouse gas, which contributes to global warming 21 times more than carbon dioxide. 2 Landfill space and contamination: It is difficult to find suitable locations for landfills. At current rates of waste disposal, we are soon running out of space. Landfills produce a toxic liquid, called leachate. Leachate is a mixture of organic acids, dissolved chemicals and rainwater. It can contaminate surrounding land and waterways.
Threat to marine life: Every year over 6 million tonnes of rubbish are dumped into the world’s oceans. 80% of this waste is plastic and has led to an estimated 46,000 pieces of plastic for every square mile of ocean and is responsible for killing more than a million seabirds and 100,000 mammals every year.
Benefits of Recycling
Recycling is the process by which waste materials are diverted from the waste stream, sorted and used to produce new products. Manufacturing new products using recycled materials requires far less energy, water and resources than using virgin materials. To reduce the impact of rubbish on our environment refuse, reuse or recycle a product.
The benefits of recycling:
● Conserves natural resources, such as coal, oil, minerals and trees.
● Saves a large amount of water and energy in the production process, e.g. making aluminium from recycled material instead of bauxite requires up to 95% less energy 2 .
● Cuts greenhouse gases by reducing the amount of rubbish breaking down in landfill and saving energy during the production process.
● Extends landfill life as well as protects land and waterways as contamination with leachate is minimised.
● saves lives of marine animals if plastic and other recyclable material is disposed of properly